- Burton Middle School
The Leader In Me
“Leadership is communicating people’s worth and potential so clearly that they are inspired to see it in themselves” ~ Stephen R. Covey
Burton Middle School has embraced and is implementing The Leader in Me approach in developing a culture of leadership in all of our schools based on The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey. The Leader in Me model emphasizes skills parents, teachers, and business leaders want and students need to be successful in an ever-changing society. These skills include: accountability, adaptability, initiative, self-direction, responsibility, problem solving, communication and teamwork. These skills are taught and developed in our students. The Leader in Me is not a program or a curriculum, it is leadership development that will help our District fulfill its mission to prepare each of our students to be college and career ready. The 7 Habits are:
1. Be Proactive- Have a “Can Do” attitude. Do the right thing without being asked.
2. Begin With The End in Mind- Plan ahead and set goals.
3. Put First Things First- Spend time on things that are the most important. Say no to things that I should not do.
4. Think Win Win- Want success for everyone. Do not put others down. Feel good when others are happy.
5. Seek First To Listen, Then to Be Understood- Listen to other people’s ideas and feelings. See other people’s viewpoints. Listen to others without interrupting.
6. Synergize- Value other’s strengths and learn from them. Get along with others, even people who are different from yourself.
7. Sharpen the Saw-Take care of yourself. Eat right, exercise, and get enough sleep. Spend time with family and friends.
You can see our students living their Leader In Me journey everyday here at Burton Middle School. Every other Friday we have Leadership Clubs. At the beginning of the year every teacher chose a club that they would facilitate. Students signed up for whatever club appealed to them. Some examples of our Leadership Clubs are:
· Folkloric Dance
· Video Production
· Random Acts of Kindness
Our students also have a leadership class every day for 30 minutes. Here they work on the 7 Habits and are completing a Leadership Journal. One of our classes is our Lighthouse group. These students are hand-picked to be school leaders in training. They put on and lead activities enjoyed by the rest of the students.